How to Care for a Chipped or Broken tooth
- In case your whole tooth is fallen out, preserve your tooth and ask for an emergency spot so that the dentist within one hour after falling out, can replace it back.
- Only carry the upper part of the tooth, don’s touch the tooth root. Don’t clean it and don’t disinfect it by yourself.
- If the tooth is painful, take acetaminophen or another over-the-counter pain reliever.
- If you must eat, eat soft foods and avoid biting down on the broken tooth.
- Als de tand schoon is, hou je hem vast bij het witte gedeelte (het gedeelte dat meestal zichtbaar is) en plaats de tand, met de juiste kant naar voren, terug in de holte.
Chipped or broken tooth often happens during sports. Protect your teeth during sports with a mouthguard. At Keizer Karelpark tandartsen, we are experienced in made to measure mouthguard.
Treatment for a broken or chipped tooth will depend on how severely it is damaged. If only a small piece of enamel broke off, the repair can usually be done simply in one office visit. A badly damaged or broken tooth may require a more lengthy and costly procedure. Here are some ways your dentist may repair your broken or chipped tooth.
- Tooth replacement
In cases of trauma’s (for example a bike accident) where the whole tooth is fallen out, the dentist will replace the tooth back as soon as possible in the jaw. We will use a splint to connect it with the surrounding teeth. Often the tooth can be successfully replaced. You need to come for several checkups in the weeks after, to see if further treatment at Keizer Karelpark tandartsen is necessarily.
- FillingIf you have chipped off just a small piece of tooth enamel, your dentist may repair the damage with a composite filling. The dentist will use a small drill, clean the damaged tooth and make sure the tooth is not infected with bacteria. The dentist will prepare a white filling for your teeth, colour matching it with the rest of your teeth.
If a front tooth is broken or chipped, a dental veneer can make it look whole and healthy again. A dental veneer is a thin shell of tooth-colored porcelain or resin composite material that covers the whole front of the tooth. We often use composite veneers because the tooth structure and tooth enamel will remain.
If a large piece of tooth breaks off or the tooth has a lot of decay, the dentist may grind or file away part of the remaining tooth and cover it with a crown, or tooth-shaped cap, made to protect the tooth and improve its appearance.
- Pull tooth
In all cases the tooth cannot be saved.
After care treatment
After care of broken tooth depends on the treatment.
Depends on the treatment. Often a dentist insurance is necessarily to cover the costs.